Computer services at Shetland Library
- We have 16 free to use public access computers in the Library Learning Centre, which is next door to the main library building, and 2 in the main library. They are free to use for both members and visitors.
- The computers close down automatically 10 minutes before the library closes. Please make sure you have saved or printed all your work before shutdown, as staff cannot extend your session at the end of the day.
- Free Wi-fi is also available throughout the library. If you need to plug in your laptop, tablet or phone, you can do this at our laptop bar on the mezzanine floor of the main library.
What does the Learning Centre provide?
- Good quality Windows computers with free internet access.
- You can reserve your computer - telephone 01595 743875 with your library card number and PIN.
- Three hour sessions for every user - longer as long as other users aren't waiting.
- Use of Microsoft software - Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint and Publisher
- Printing - both black & white and colour (10p and 30p per sheet)
- Three colour A3 flatbed scanners.
- Access to quality subscription reference web sites, e.g. KnowUK and Britannica Online - see the 24 Hour Library page for more information.
- Books on computers and ICT.
- Language learning packs and fiction in other languages.
- DVD feature films and TV tie-ins for both children and adults (£1 per film, £2 or £3 per box set).
- CDs, DVDs and USB (flash) drives are available for sale in the Learning Centre.
- Headphones are also available for sale, or you can bring your own should you wish to listen to audio on the computers.
Find out how Library staff can help you with free advice at our weekly drop-in.
We have some advice and a few rules to encourage responsible and safe use of our computers and the public wifi network.
Accessibilty aids for computers
Find out about the helpful hardware and software you can use in the Learning Centre by dropping along, or please contact David Thomson on 01595 743868 for more information..