We buy nearly all books published in or about Shetland, and have a big collection for you to browse and borrow. There are also reference materials including Shetland periodicals, pamphlets and maps.
- The Shetland Times, Shetland News and other old newspapers going back well into the 19th century can be browsed on microfilm. One of our microfilm browsers has print facilities.
- Local history online: Aimed at young people. These are materials specially created by the Library to suit different age groups.
- Shetland writers showcase: another Library online project offers a taste of just some promintent local authors. Includes audio clips of their work.
- Shetland Library publications: occasionally the Library has turned publisher of poetry and local history books - browse them here.
- Genealogy and Family History: A brief local introduction.
Writing about the First World War began soon after the fighting started - everything from propaganda to oral history. Originally called the Great War, its centenary is seeing a barrage of new materials to provide modern analysis and interpretations for all ages. This is a short bibliography which concentrates on materials with useful Shetland content.
You will find this website very useful and interesting: this is a group dedicated to promoting and celebrating the use of written and spoken Shetland dialect. Includes a Shetland dictionary, literature, papers upon dialect topics & spoken stories.